Wednesday, October 7, 2009

8 hours in a kitchen

By TP Big Brother

Yesterday I spent 8 hours in the kitchen. On a weeknight.

Nothing surprising to those who work in hospitality. I know. But I don't work in hospitality. I am a desk jockey spending the good part of my week working the corporate spanner.

After the day job, I banged out 4 dishes last night for no one in particular. A needy white stock, a vegetarian lentil dish to hit my one a week vegetarian quota, poor feetless macarons and a version of Mary Berry's thai beetroot soup.

I do wonder how I spent that long in a kitchen, but thats me really. Food just takes me on a timeless journey down a path of another world. I have worked the hobs in the London battlefields, where I have been the one shouting "push geezer", but at home, I am within the confines of my very own food hut sanctuary. I guess I'm just suffering from the come down from holidays, which I opted to spend a month at culinary school and work kitchens, as opposed to cruising the Galapogas Islands on a 5 star Catamaran. Food just continues to invade my personal space, and I am beginning to stop resisting.

Yet, I am just another average joe who loves his food, blindly throwing money into the pleasures of all things culinary, then wanting to re-live it with a few taps on the keyboard. But, I hope this blog isn't just another food blog. I don't have the commendable structured-goal-format of cooking every recipe from the Gourmet Cookbook. And my photos certainly are not on par with the likes of the myfoodtrail blog. It's just going to be about simple me and my expanding food world (along with the other Twin Palate galaxy). Fortunately or unfortunately, I have developed a disease which causes me to want to serve, eat, buy and learn about good food. I hope this blog encaptulates that. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mention!!

    Look forward to more posts from you! Make them more regular!

    ReplyDelete