Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Winner of the 2009 Melb Cup... Laksa

By TP Little Brother

Unlike the working minority which included TP Big Brother in Victoria, I was in the majority working on Melbourne Cup Day in my state. Sadly, Melbourne Cup Day is a public holiday in Victoria only, and for those of us unfortunate enough to work in NSW, today was business as usual.

So what a better way to find my silver lining than in a nice tasty bowl of Laska.... not even a 32 degree day could stop me!

Situated on Hunter St and a stone throw away from my office, Malay Chinese has become a popular lunch destination for many of my colleagues. The difficulty of finding a seat during lunch time is a shining testimony of the quality of the food. Throughout my Laska hunting around the CBD, this place is a gem.

Dining at the tail end of lunch, the service is lightning quick. By the time we ordered and sat down, our Laksa’s were ready 2 minutes later.

Beef Curry Laksa

The taste is a combination of sweet and salty and very authentic. The beef is tender and combined with the noodles, bean shoots, tofu and the key ingredient, the broth, it is a very enjoyable meal.
The spiciness of the curry is mild and bearable. Some of my asian colleagues prefer to add few extra teaspoons of chilli paste but I am satisfied with the level of spice.

Skinless Chicken Curry Laksa

A healthier alternative of the Chicken Curry Laksa, the simplicity of the dish is inter-changeable between meats. Chicken, Skinless Chicken and Prawn are pretty good but Beef would have to be my personal favourite. I have been here many times and this place consistently delivers good Laskas.

Of all of the places I’ve had Laksa in Sydney, this would have to be the winner. And with its large servings starting at $8.20, Malay Chinese delivers quality Laksas at a quality price.

On a side note, as good as the Laksas are, another good reason to drop by is to get a glimpse of the centre piece of the restaurant - the resident fish tank housing a very big goldfish with a very big brain. Must be the mastermind behind the secret Laksa recipes.

Malay Chinese, 1/50-58 Hunter St, Sydney, Ph: (02) 9231 6788

No comments:

Post a Comment