Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Working on cup day

by TP Big Brother

I write this on cup day, a Melbourne public holiday I didn't get this year.

Searching for a silver lining, I have found some good out of today. Today I inaugurate another member to my very critical list of favourite caffeine suppliers.

A quick drive from my office is Dukes Coffee Roasters, apparently a new kid in town since July. While I'm not a coffee expert, my job drives me to drink it in excess.

My simple verdict, as an introduction to the newest member of the club:
- a bitey, strong and slightly acidic coffee. To sample more often.

Still unticked on my list is to scope out St Ali Outpost in South Yarra. A couple of weeks ago, went to a seminar by St Ali owner Sal Malatesta, and what a clever to-the-point business man.

My current favourite coffee spots around the office (St Kilda), in no particular order, are:
- Dukes Coffee Roasters - 169 Chapel St, Windsor 3181
- Grocery Bar - 135 Fitzroy St, St Kilda (organic coffee)
- Jasper's coffee in Prahran Market (also in Smith St, Fitzroy)
- Italcaffe coffee - Barista off chapel st (Carlton St)

2nd-tier favourites
- Grinders Coffee - myGoodness cafe on St Kilda road (comes with a free muffin)
- Capri Cafe on Wellington St, St Kilda (GianCarlo coffee)

Additionally, in (around) the city, my favourite places are:
- Cloud 19 (using Grinders coffee), 361 Little Lonsdale Street
- Expresso Bagels, QV building (using Mokador coffee - currently only 1 in Melbourne. TP Little Brother is spoilt with many suppliers up in Sydney)
- Seven Seeds - 114 Berkeley St, Carlton. (below - pic from Sunday)


On a side note, the Mushroom meringue lives on. I decided it was too inspirational and too much of a piece of art for me to eat. It now has a permanent place on my desk until it's hard meringue exterior decides that it can no longer face the harsh recycled building air. Replicating this clever sculpture is on the cards for me. In between trying to figure out these darn macarons! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment