Sunday, December 6, 2009

Revisting Ryo's

by TP Little bro

Ever since writing the last post about Ryo's noodles, I have struggled to get their speciality ramen out of my head. I wanted it everyday, so much so that after I having dinner one night, I was in the area and decided to swing by for a bowl of ramen. Unfortunately, it was 9.15pm and the closed sign was painstakingly on display as if to say "Sorry buddy, you snooze, you lose". The next time became Saturday night where we tried to get in early to avoid disappointment (and the long queues) and thankfully, it was open. After saying I would order something other than ramen in my last post, the thought of the delicious strands of noodles soaking in the pork soup was an offer I couldn't refuse. So I caved and ordered the Soy Sauce Tonkotsu ramen (again). My only saving grace was someone else at the table went off my suggestion to order Miso bolognaise and I also generously shared some of my ramen (easier said than done). This left room to try the two dishes which interested me.

Miso bolognaise ($13)



Ramen covered in a miso bolognaise, shallots and sesame seeds gets your attention because it's a dish you don't see everyday and when you think about, may actually work. And it does. It's just like eating Japan's version of spaghetti bolognaise with less tomato, less spaghetti, more miso and much more yummy noodles. Thumbs up but against the Soy Sauce Tonkotsu Ramen, falls short (it's an unbeatable dish).

Fried chicken ($6)

The flavours are amazing the first time the chicken touches your taste buds. The chicken is crispy and well seasoned on the outside, moist on the inside. But be warned, the fried chicken gets the fantastic crispy texture from deep frying. The consequence? Lots and lots of oil. As mentioned in an earlier post, it doesn't matter where you go but deep fried chicken is best shared between at least 3 people to enjoy the indulgent flavours without the heavy sick feeling of your arteries clogging aftewards.

The two dishes may have been a short detour off course but Mission Accomplished! I managed to try something different. With that out of my system, I'll be happy to order Soy Sauce Tonkotsu Ramen for all future visits. I can die in peace.

2 comments:

  1. I miss Ryo's now that I've moved to the other side of the bridge *sob sob*. I miss the miso bolognaise so much and no one else does it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Lorraine. Who knows...The miso bolognaise might be sobbing and thinking the same about you! NQN reviewed it 2 years ago, maybe it's time for a "refresher" (but do you really need an excuse to cross the bridge). Where did you move to?

    ReplyDelete